Blackboard’s magazine has published a “Learning Analytics” special edition including beginner introductions, case studies, ethical considerations, interviews, and a visual glossary.
The main story is a profile of John Whitmer and the data science team he leads inside the EdTech giant. Whitmer is a leading researcher in analytics and a familiar figure to Moodle and the Moodleverse.
Other items in the special include:
- Ethical Concerns With Learning Analytics: What You Should Be Aware of. Not only must organizations have rigorous processes to handle personal student data, but misuse or misunderstanding of data itself can be a liability for an organization.
- Predictive Analytics to Student Success Improvement. A general purpose workflow to use data to identify student patterns and risks, suggesting the importance of follow-up and personalized interventions.
- How UCEM Uses Learning Analytics to Support Student Retention (customer snapshot). It documents the UK’s University College of Estate Management;s use of Blackboard’s proprietary X-Ray analytics solution for its online programs
- Learning Analytics Possibilities and Challenges of Using Data Science. A profile of Timothy Hartfield, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Blackboard Analytics, and the possibilities and limitations of data applied to learning.
- A learning analytics glossary.
This Moodle Practice related post is made possible by: eThink Education, a Certified Moodle Partner that provides a fully-managed Moodle experience including implementation, integration, cloud-hosting, and management services. To learn more about eThink, click here.