The Italian Users Association showed once again the value of local citizen interest groups by holding the largest meeting of Moodle minds in the country last month.
The event opened with Moodle HQ’s Gavin Henrick discussing the future of the open source LMS. While Italy is one of the European countries where Moodle reportedly holds over 60% of the market share in Higher Ed, it has no local open source alternative. As Moodle’s long-term planning involves a deeper commitment to open initiatives, from technology and content to advocacy and civic engagement, the nation is a market to follow in the coming years.
- Teacher training and professional development
- Online annotations
- 3-D, scientific virtual laboratories, and simulations (see video here)
- Features in Moodle 3.4
- In-place, computer-based assessments
- Digital interactive storytelling in mathematics
- Problem-based learning
- Blended learning
View a Twitter Moment by Gianluca Affinito from Formez, a learning-based public administration initiative from the Italian government.
Upcoming Moots in 2017
While announced Moots in India, South Africa, and Mexico are still TBD, a surprising announcement revealed the upcoming MootleMoot Western Balkans & Serbia 2017, to take place in Belgrade. It is organized by the Moodle Network of Serbia, which could be considered an association for educators who use Moodle in the Balkans.
The latest Moot calendar for Q4 in 2017 goes as follows:
- October 18-19: MoodleMoot Brazil 2017: Rio. The second out of three Moots in this vast country is also organized by users, this time from the “Moodle Brazil Community” led by Daniel Neis Araujo and Felipe Raimo, among others.
- October 28th: MoodleMoot Western Balkans & Serbia 2017. Members of the Moodle Network of Serbia will be able to attend the event completely free.
- November 2-3: MoodleMoot Peru 2017. This time the organizer is Atypax, a young and motivated Moodle Partner whose CEO, Luis Félix Atuncar, has strived for prominence in the region year-long with his talk “Moodle: More than an LMS” given in Guatemala, Colombia, and Paraguay.
- November 6-8: MoodleMoot US 2017: Florida.
- November 8th: MoodleMoot Brazil 2017: Salvador.