Save the Date: Wednesday, April 25th, 12:30p to 2:00p (PST) (12:30p – 1:30p – Main Presentation | 1:30p – 2:00p – Open Discussion and Q&A). Web conference: https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?password=M.2734641F44A9944362EF08B2B30ACD&sid=2010182
The CSU Moodle Common Interest Group (CIG) invites interested Moodlers to an online Webinar titled Moodle 2.x File System Issues and Considerations.
The Moodle 2.0 file system has been a major point of concern for campuses migrating from version 1.9 and is an ongoing consideration for 2.0 native campuses. Changes in the 2.0 version have seemingly moved some things forward and some things back. Campuses migrating from 1.9 are particularly vulnerable to end user disruption caused by changes in the structure and workflow for managing files. Complexities increase when considering external repository options. Despite challenges, campuses are moving forward and finding ways to make things work. This webinar explores:
- the experiences of campuses and experts in making 2.0 file system decisions,
- key decision-making points for campuses,
- expectations for changes in versions 2.3 and 2.4,
- external repository options and implementation considerations,
- and much more…
Joining the panel are:
- Mark Drechsler, Director of Consulting at NetSpot Pty Ltd, one of the largest funding contributors to the Moodle project in the world. Mark is responsible for the Consulting services provided by NetSpot, as well as playing a pivotal role in NetSpot’s product development strategy through his close connections with Moodle HQ and the e-learning community. Drechsler has published a well-regarded set of blog posts on the Moodle file system evolution from 1.9.x to 2.x (http://www.markdrechsler.com/?p=481) and maintains a close connection to the Moodle HQ team.
- Steve Miley, University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), Manager Academic Systems Letters and Science Information Technology. UCSB has been running Moodle (branded GauchoSpace) since 2006. UCSB is currently running version 1.9.11 and will be starting Moodle 2.3 pilots in Fall 2012. Over 65 percent of all courses at UCSB use GauchoSpace with a student population of about 24,000. UCSB has many customizations including automatic group creation and synchronization, analytic graphs, ease of use enhancements.
- Tonia Malone, Instructional Technology Consultant / Moodle Administrator and Tom Cubanski, Analyst/Programmer California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO): Cal Poly migrated from Blackboard to Moodle 2.1 in 2011. Branded “PolyLearn”, Cal Poly has gained first-hand experience deploying the Moodle 2 file system and has learned valuable lessons along the way. Their campus has also assessed options for external repositories.
What: CSU Moodle CIG Webinar Series – Moodle 2.x File System Issues and Considerations
Who: Current or prospective Moodle LMS staff or administrators, at Moodle campuses
Where: Web conference: https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?password=M.2734641F44A9944362EF08B2B30ACD&sid=2010182 (Blackboard Collaborate) — No password necessary. Just click the link to join the conference at the appointed time.
(archive will be available on the CSU Moodle CIG website: http://moodle.calstate.edu)