With the release of Moodle 2.0 beta preview, we’ll be posting about the new features and changes all week.
Tim Hunt of Open University led a major development effort to upgrade Moodle 2.0′s quiz feature set (with help from other Moodle community members and freelance developers). You can catch a full overview of the features in this release in the video archive from MootUK10: http://moodlemootuk2010.org.uk/videos/videos-day-2/ (2nd video from the top).
According to the MootUK10 presentation by Tim, the main changes to the quiz module were some of the first finished in 2009 and have been held while the other core changes to Moodle2.0 were finished over the last 12 months.
So what’s in store in Quiz 2.0?
- Improved aesthetics of main quiz features and layouts
- new progress notification system available to students as the progress through the quiz
- built in option for gathering student feedback on specific quiz questions (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Flagging_questions_during_a_quiz_attempt)
- clearer quiz submission options, including a quiz attempt summary on the last page of a quiz that shows students stats on their progress (and shows any unanswered questions; http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:quiz_navigation)
- reorganization of quiz configuration options
- upgraded quiz builder page (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Administration_page_for_question_types) including,
- faster building options
- clearer quiz organization and page breaks
- detailed response report for teachers
- individual overrides for specific students or groups of students
- several fixes to manually graded quiz questions
More information is available on the Moodle Roadmap for Moodle 2.0 (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Roadmap).
The quiz module in pre-2.0 is already a valuable resource, these changes outlined above and on Moodle2.0 are surely a great addition to an already superb feature.